So a couple weeks ago I woke up on a snowy Monday morning and got ready for work. I came downstairs to do the daily ritual of walking the dog and convincing him to get the paper for me when I realized that the cardboard box in our arctic entryway looked wet. 'That's funny', I thought to myself, 'I don't remember the box being wet last night'. I slowly looked up to the ceiling and had to rub the sleep out of my eyes to fully realize the bubble of warped drywall above my hear that was just waiting to break. So I did what any good wife would do, I woke Dan up to fix it! :) Just kidding!! I did wake him up but I helped to determine what the problem was and stop the leak. What happened is the liquid barrier that is on the roof had a breakdown near the sunlight, and water found a way into the roof and soaked through the insulation and then into the drywall. We were able to pull off all the wet drywall, pull out and dry the insulation, and put heat trace on the roof to give the water a place to drain to other than inside the house. No real damage was seen and we just need to replace the vapor barrier and re-drywall the ceiling.
Saturday, February 10, 2007
Ice Dam Home Repairs (not planned!)
So a couple weeks ago I woke up on a snowy Monday morning and got ready for work. I came downstairs to do the daily ritual of walking the dog and convincing him to get the paper for me when I realized that the cardboard box in our arctic entryway looked wet. 'That's funny', I thought to myself, 'I don't remember the box being wet last night'. I slowly looked up to the ceiling and had to rub the sleep out of my eyes to fully realize the bubble of warped drywall above my hear that was just waiting to break. So I did what any good wife would do, I woke Dan up to fix it! :) Just kidding!! I did wake him up but I helped to determine what the problem was and stop the leak. What happened is the liquid barrier that is on the roof had a breakdown near the sunlight, and water found a way into the roof and soaked through the insulation and then into the drywall. We were able to pull off all the wet drywall, pull out and dry the insulation, and put heat trace on the roof to give the water a place to drain to other than inside the house. No real damage was seen and we just need to replace the vapor barrier and re-drywall the ceiling.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment