Gelato in Marsalforn, Gozo on the promenade by the ocean
There is just something so nice about having a bowl of gelato (basically ice cream)in a warm Mediterranean breeze - ahhh - I miss it so much! Our Alaskan friend Jenn, Dan and I began our gelato tour in the sleepy town or Marsalforn, on the island of Gozo in the country of Malta. We each had a couple scoops, and I think this is where we discovered hazelnut gelato...YUMMY!!! Just like frozen Nutella. I'm pretty sure we had a few more gelatos in Malta, but unfortunately no pictures of them. As we moved North to Tuscany, Italy, Jenn and I were determined to have 'the day of the gelato', allowing ourselves one scoop only at each gelato stand we could find and then moving on. What gave us this idea was that in San Gimignano, they claim to have the 'World Champions of Gelato'. So Jenn and I decided we would be the judge. After about 3 gelato stops, Dan spotted another one and asked if we wanted to try it. I never though it was possible to say no to gelato, and I'm sad to say my stomach just couldn't say yes, I was all gelatoed out!
NOTE: My favorite turned out to be from the town of Montalchino, although Certaldo was a close second. While the World Champs were good, I have to say I did not agree that they were the best. I think we will have to plan another vacation there to really decide!


No comments:
Post a Comment