Happy Birthday Dan! We're so happy we got to spend the day with you and hope that you get everything you want! We are lucky to have you in our lives as a husband and a father :)

Ten days in paradise...even though it was a last minute trip, it was a much needed break for all of us! This trip was not a moment too soon for Harper - she was diagnosed with pneumonia the Monday before we left and the warm, humid aid did her very well as she got a clean bill of health just before we left the island last Monday. She is happy, healthy and back playing in the snow now. I really enjoyed the break, I haven't had one since November (which was actually a work trip outside the state, but I still consider it a break). And Dan had a great time getting back into running most days, biking a few times and even swimming! He competed in a sprint triathlon in Poipu and did great - I'm so proud of him for completing an open water swim triathlon...something I've not done yet!
Our condo was fantastic, great ocean & sunset views and a great pool to play in. Some might consider our days boring, but I thought they were heavenly. Wake up with the sunrise, snack, go for a sunrise/whale watching walk (or run in Dan's case), play on the playground, eat breakfast, play/swim at the beach, take a nap, eat lunch, play in the pool, snack/dinner, watch sunset & evening walk, go to bed. What more could we want?
Of course we threw in a few trips here and there to fun locations on the island, but we've seen most of them already so it wasn't a big deal. The highlights of our trip were hanging out with Harper all day every day, watching her walk on the sand and grass barefoot, listening to her speak to the roosters ("loodle doodle loodle loo"), cheering Dan on in the triathlon, and making a monk seal sand sculpture. Only two low-lights that I can think of are wrestle-mania between me and Harper on the plane flight from Lihue to Honolulu (I guess she didn't want to leave), and an incident immediately following deplaning with Dan versus the car seat - let's just it was a great thing we were carrying antiseptic cleaner and band aids, Dan's heel sure appreciated quick treatment! All else was good until we arrived back in Anchorage to a blizzard at 5 in the morning on Wednesday...Harper woke up in her own room and probably wondered if Hawaii was just a dream. I'm wondering that today...at least we have pictures to prove it was real!
Harper saying "Jeez Dad, the only person I know who takes longer than you at the swim/bike transition is Mom!"
Dad's little geologist in training looking at the lava rocks while waiting for him to come back on the run


No comments:
Post a Comment